Festive Roast Butternut Squash with Pesto Rice
1 medium-sized butternut squash
120g pre-cooked rice or grain of your choice
2 tbsp green pesto
1 tbsp pomegranate
Oil for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp pomegranate jewels
5-6 Basil leaves
2tsps Toasted pine nuts
1 tbsp green pesto
1 heaped tbsp grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. Oil a baking tray. Cut the butternut squash into halves, scrape out the seeds and pulp with a spoon and discard. Brush the halved butternut squash with the oil, place it on the baking tray and cook for 40 minutes.
2. Add the pre-cooked grain to a bowl, add in the pesto and pomegranate, mix thoroughly and season to taste.
3. Fill the butternut squash halves equally with the grain mix, cover with tin foil and return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes. Check that the butternut squash is cooked completely by prodding it with a fork (it should be soft but firm enough not to completely collapse on the baking tray). Make sure that the grain mix is piping hot as ovens may vary.
4. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the pine nuts, basil, pesto, pomegranate jewels and parmesan.
● For the filling – brown, white or wild rice can be used or a mix of a couple. Also use quinoa, bulgar wheat, pearl barley or any mix you prefer.
● It’s delicious eaten cold the next day!
● Serve it with a salad of your choice.